Movies Opening in Theaters June 28th, 2013
It seems that no matter what you’re looking to see this weekend, it is out there. Comedy, action, vampires, and even Jason Statham doing something that looks amazingly similar to acting! Throw into the mix hold over movies, with zombies for the adults (“World War Z”), monsters for the kids (“Monsters University”) and comic book action for the teens (Superman’s “Man of Steel”), and this is sure to be another record breaking weekend. If you’re thinking about catching any of these films, don’t wait too long because next Wednesday, July 3rd, we’re getting some more big releases in the likes of “The Lone Ranger” (2013) and “Despicable Me 2” (2013).
- “White House Down” (2013) Rated PG-13, 131 minutes: As soon as the first preview for “White House Down” was released, with the words from the director of “Independance Day”, “The Day After Tomorrow” and “2012” (Roland Emmerich), everyone instantly knew that this film would be an action-packed extravaganza. If nothing else, it promises to be full of explosions and adventure. The story follows a Police officer (Channing Tatum), who after being rejected by the Secret Service, ends up trapped in the White House when it is taken over by a terrorist group (headed by Jason Clarke). While searching for his daughter (Joey King), he recovers the President (Jamie Foxx), and together they attempt to take back the White House. This film also stars Maggie Gyllenhaal, James Woods and Richard Jenkins.
- “The Heat” (2013) Rated R, 117 minutes: An uptight, disliked FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) teams with a loud-mouth Boston Police Detective (Melissa McCarthy) to stop a mobster. This action/comedy film from director Paul Feig (“Bridesmaids”) promises to be an entertaining romp, despite the somewhat familiar plot. The R rating also promises to keep that adult sense of humor that made “Bridesmaids” so funny. “The Heat” also stars Michael Rapaport, Marlon Wayans and Demian Bichir.
And with a limited release this weekend:
- “I’m So Excited” (2013) Rated R, 90 minutes: Director Pedro Almodovar (“Volver”, “All About My Mother”, “Talk to Her”) has managed to make some very thought-provoking and memorable films in his career, but his latest film, “I’m So Excited,” appears to go into uncharted territories in his acclaimed career. In this comedy, a flight heading to Mexico City experience some technical failure, and while trying to find a way to land, the passengers, pilots and crew attempt to forget the problem at hand.
- “Redemption” (2013) Rated R, 100 minutes: Also known as “Hummingbird” or “Crazy Joe” in other countries, “Redemption” stars Jason Statham as an ex-Royal Marine, who is now a homeless man living on the streets of London. When the opportunity arises for him to assume the identity of another man, he grabs on, catapulting him into the darker side of London’s criminal underworld. When his girlfriend ends up dead, he risks everything in order to achieve redemption for his life.
- “Byzantium” (2013) Rated R, 118 minutes: From director Neil Jordan (“The Crying Game”, “Interview with the Vampire”) comes this story of a mother-daughter team of vampires (Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan), and their struggle to maintain their dark secret after the forever sixteen-year-old becomes infatuated with a young man.
Anything here worth seeing?